Grades 4 – 6: Unit 1 Expository Writing
Expository is a type of writing that helps inform, explain or persuade your reader. Expository writing is FACTUAL and OBJECTIVE. Everyday, the media provides models of expository writing.
Expository Writing Checlist:
- Is a third-person account
- Contains factual information
- Contains quotations
- Places the most important information in the beginning
- Contains the 5 Ws and the How
- Uses descriptive passages
Locate an expository article in today’s newspaper. Does the article contain most or all of the requirements in the Expository Writing checklist? Underline or circle examples.
Write two expository newspaper articles. Use the Expository Writing Checklist for help.
- Describe an event at your school. Include details and a quotation from a witness.
- Explain the steps in a housekeeping task. Include quotations from someone who regularly does the task and include the 5 Ws and a How if appropriate.